I'm re-releasing this recipe just in time for Halloween, so don't let the candy making portion of this recipe scare you, its super easy. This recipe makes a wickedly delicious candy apple that is perfect for fall and has the perfect combination of sweet, crunchy, tart and chewy.
8 apples of your choice – I used Ontario Macintosh
8 Popsicle sticks
2 cups of granulated or raw sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup of red cinnamon hearts
1/2 cup hot water
1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Wash and dry apples. Remove the stems, and stick the popsicle sticks into the stem end of the apple.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat combine the water, sugar and corn syrup. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 250 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer, this will take about 5 minutes.
4. Once the candy reaches 250 (or after about 5 minutes), add the cinnamon hearts.
5. Stir occasionally and continue to cook, until it reaches 285 degrees. Again, if you don’t have a thermometer it’s after about 20 minutes. You can even test to see if it’s ready by dropping some of the mixture into cold water. If it becomes brittle and hard then it is ready, if it’s soft and still a liquid it needs to cook longer.
6. Holding the apples by the stick, dip into syrup to coat evenly.
7. Place on prepared sheets to harden in cool dry place, do not put in fridge.