Veganizing things can always be a challenge, but I've never been the type to back down. Because I love pretty pinkg things, I decided to juice a pomegranate to give them a pinkish hue without using red dye. #naturallife
(There seems to be a bit of controversy around OREOs and if they are vegan or not. They do not contain any milk ingredients, however they are manufactured at a facility that also manufactures dairy products, so there is a possibility of cross contamination. I also asked around on some vegan forums and it seems the majority agree that they are vegan.)
Makes about 30 cookies
227 gram container of Tofutti vegan cream cheese
8 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
12 Oreo cookies, broken into pieces
Optional: 1 pomegranate – juiced
1. Mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, scraping sides as needed.
2. Add the sugar and beat well.
3. Add in flour, a small bit at a time
Optional step: To turn the cookies pink without using food dye, I used juice from 1 pomegranate and added it to mix at this point.
4. Add in broken Oreos until evenly distributed.
5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Scoop dough and place them on the cookie sheet.
9. Place pan in the oven to bake for 10-11 minutes, or until *just golden at the edges.
FYI – They will still be soft when you first remove them from the oven.
10. Let them cool for approx 10 minutes, then enjoy!